O.W. Best Middle School was opened in 1966. The construction supervisor for the middle school was Remo Porchia, who later became Assistant Principal and Principal. The school was named after Oakley W. Best, who was a superintendent in the school district’s growth years; the 1950’s and 1960’s.
The name of the school was actually transferred from the original location of the school where Annapolis High School is now located. The land on which the school is located was previously part of the Nolan Farm.
Originally, School District #7 did not include a high school. The Oakley W. Best Junior High was located in the building that now houses Annapolis High School. When the State of Michigan required that all school districts have their own high school, the voters decided to build a junior high school on the corner of Powers and Pardee. After numerous changes in grade configuration and additions to the main structure, the school became a middle school servicing grades six, seven and eight.